Saturday, September 7, 2013

If data is not important...then I dont know what is!

Does anyone out there still keep manual spreadsheets? (My hand is raised btw)

Data is so important.. I know this, you know this and everyone else across the globe knows this. However, myself and a bunch of my corporate recruiting friends all have the same complaints - reporting!!! Now maybe it is because the group of people I know work at companies that have not made applicant tracking system reporting a priority or maybe there are more people out there with these same issues than I personally know?

In terms of fortune 500 level companies or companies with employees under 2500 (which I am most familiar with) they do not invest is systems that I drool over like Success Factors or Kenexa. We typically have Taleo business edition, PC Recruiter, Virtual Edge and even icims. What is frustrating is that a lot of  these ATS systems are not designed the same as the actual recruiters workflow. Maybe even the person who implemented the system didn't understand the workflow (which is more likely the culprit). Therefore, the data is not recorded in the same fashion. Most of the systems are customizable (which is one of the reasons it was purchased in the first place) but there are a ton of add-on costs in order to configure dashboard reporting. Instead of getting fancy dashboard reports that executives want to see (let's be honest we want to also see), you get raw data that you dump into Excel.

Mind-numbing raw, stinking-freaking RAW data. So, then you have to manipulate it to make it fancy but that is a lot of bloody mindless work.... when surely a system can do that, right?! 

I've been fortunate enough to see the before and after of what good HRIS consulting can do to configure Taleo. It still wasn't perfect, but you know your reports are only as good as the tracking of data in the system so...  Plus, improvement is good - perfection is unrealistic.

Any commiserate-rs? Any braggarts that want to share their awesome reporting (I am guaranteed to be jealous)?

No comments:

Post a Comment