Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Poaching Don'ts (ok... just the basics)

Ok, maybe I am venting here out of frustration...  In the last several months I have received several InMails on LinkedIn about various opportunities; while it is always nice to receive one (if only to know your value in the marketplace) it can back-fire and totally turn the candidate off!

The thing is... if you are a recruiter, head-hunter, sourcer or a hiring manager it would be a total waste of time for you to do a simple keyword search, select all on your results and send out an email. In fact, not only is it a waste of time, but it can hinder your credibility as a recruiter. In this instance: poaching a candidate from a competitor.... when done poorly, just makes for office fodder!!

To all the newbie recruiters, sourcers and up-and-coming headhunters:

1.) Do your homework PLEASE! If you poach someone for a job, at least make sure they actually have a background in the job you're poaching them for. Nothing is more off-putting than when you get an inmail for a job in payroll and you are in fact not a payroll professional. (You wouldn't want me in payroll, not a numbers person. Trust me on this!)

2.) Poaching should not be sending an 8 paragraph email, because a 2 paragraph email should suffice. You don't want to waste the person's time before you even know if they are interested and if they have to sift through all the mumbo-jumbo to figure it out.... they most likely will not bother!

3.) It would be wise to summarize the following things:
  • Who you are and your company
  • The position title and key qualifications you are seeking (making sure they match your candidates background)
  • Why the opportunity is exciting (your pitch or elevator speech)
  • Why you are sending them an invite to discuss further
  • Your contact information (beyond just responding through LinkedIn)

4.) Double check your grammar (although we are all guilty of this occasionally), spelling and the actual name of the person - because getting their name right is essential! Let me repeat - get. their. name. right.

I am done venting now...  but I had to "go there" because having 4 instances in 2 months was weird and frankly I was starting to question who was schooling these newbie peeps on poaching!?

The actual inmail that pushed me far enough to blog about it included a wrong spelling of my name, a position I clearly would not be qualified for and never left me with the person's contact information in case I wanted to actually call them back. Just saying...


2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. LinkedIn inmails are very powerful but sometimes, inmail power is abused. The question is...did you respond to the person that spelled your name wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did respond to inform him that his inquiry was not appropriate to my background and ended the response with "by the way - my name is Crystal". One would hope that would be a learning experience but our society rarely reads everything, so he most likely deleted it before he read the full response (or reflected on my response).

    ReplyDelete