Thursday, July 25, 2013

Work/Life Balance: Hindered or Enhanced by Technology?

When it rains it pours...yes, on occasion that is exactly what happens.

It never ceases to amaze me that when one thing goes wrong, another thing is right around the corner. In today's rapid world of communication and action its easy for your work and your personal time to have blurred lines. (Love that song btw)

This last week has been a doozy! I mean everything that could have gone wrong did. So, in hindsight I have to be thankful for technology. Because if it were not for my laptop, the internet, email, social media and wifi - I would not have been able to juggle, adapt and make good on my many commitments.

I also can't help but remember the earlier part of my career before I was uber-connected... before I slept next to an iPad and cell phone. Before I needed a charging station. Before I set up alerts in different sounds and managed my day by electronic calendar. Back then I used a Franklin Covey day planner, a tickler-file, a rolling file cabinet of resumes and an SIC code book for cold calling. I even had my head shot on my business card for branding... this was before LinkedIn. This should make me feel old, right? But I am only 34!

So, I ask you: Do you think that technology gave us more work/life balance or stole our work/life balance? I personally view it as an enhancer of balance, although I know and understand many feel the opposite. Technology will either help you (like me) juggle and maximize your entire day or it will hinder the quality of life balance. I like to work, socialize and think- in spurts. I like variety in my day. Some time to work - some time to play. But when the world comes at me fast and all things happen at once - technology seems to provide me with the opportunity to find balance in a lot of ways. It is probably because I don't compartmentalize... I try to go through my life taking what comes in a day and making time to be distracted. It's neither good nor bad, just how I do things.

What about you? Does technology hinder or enhance your work/life balance?

No comments:

Post a Comment